Friday, March 14, 2008

Thanking my Lucky Stars

Okay, so I can have a Chicken Little tendency, but when I hear that one of the top five investment banking institutions, Bear Stearns, is having a cash shortage, and the Fed is pumping money to them to keep them afloat...well, me thinks "the sky is falling." When I hear words like "actions like this haven't taken place since the Great Depression.." (though I hardly believe THAT in and of itself), I think "THANK GOD we did NOT buy a house." The last thing B and I need is to have a mortgage payment, and then for B to lose his job, and for us to be one of the millions across the country losing their houses. So for now, until I see a solid sky up above, and fewer scary reports, we'll just continue to save our money and look forward to the rainy day. If it comes, we will be okay. Thank God we didn't buy a house.

I guess in times like this it does force you to take stock of everything and look around and appreciate what you have, and don't get mad about what you don't have. I guess, for that reason, what goes up should and must always come down, eventually. If everything always rose, then we would only continue to be a country of self-indulgent, spoiled brats. Perhaps many people need a good wakeup call. Maybe it is time that we all take a look around and appreciate what we do have, and stop worrying about what we don't have. The last time I think we, as a nation, did that was on 9/11. God forbid we go through that again. Hopefully people will stop trying to think that there really is a pot at the end of the rainbow and stop chasing the dream, only to have the painted arch crashing down upon us.

No comments: