Saturday, February 20, 2010

Checking in

Well, I have not posted in quite a while because of our brand new baby, who was born on January 4th, 2010. He was technically 2 days early, but actually right on time by my own calendar, as I knew when I ovulated.

So, I am now a part of the mom club. And yes, we do plan to have another, but stop after that.

Hopefully I'll have a little more time to post my random pontifications now that D is a little bit older.

For the record, I have a few brief comments on our nation and the economy.

First, I know we are technically in a recovery, but I think we're still in trouble as a country. The past 8 years of unregulated lending will take at least (my guess) another ten years to truly dig out. I'm not just talking about our country. The whole world got into an orgy of unchecked borrowing and lending, and the hangover has been brutal. Although our country claims the worst is over, the rest of the world isn't making quite such a claim. Given Greece and Portugal's recent SOS, I'd say we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Also, I'm really not sure what to think of our current president these days. I still approve of him as a whole, but I'm not feeling the love for him on a few of his recent initiatives. I believe the so-called healthcare reform has become nothing but a watered down version of the original intent that has pandered to the insurance industry and lobbyists, which basically will do nothing to keep costs down. And although I approve of his tax credit ideas for small businesses, it misses the point that if there is no business to be spoken of, a small business cannot hire employees simply to get a tax credit. It makes no sense. We'll see what happens, and I try to remember that Clinton faced fierce opposition in '93, but right now, I'm not feelin' it dawg.

No comments: