Thursday, August 14, 2008

Olympics

I have been one of millions, perhaps billions, who have been watching the Olympics every night since the opening ceremony. Every single time I watch any competition in which there is the judgment of a human involved, I truly believe this whole competition is rigged. For the past few nights I have been watching synchronized diving and gymnastics, both of which involve the judgment of people and not clocks. Now I am not saying that the Chinese have not been doing well in both sports, but I also think their scores have been purposely inflated. 

For instance, while watching syncro-diving, two little Chinese girls delicately lifted off of the platforms making the same motions and sinking quietly into the pool with a ring of bubbles around their feet as they sank in. When the sportscaster reviewed the dive, I did not see perfection. I saw two little girls whose arms were not aligned with each other. One girl entered the water a little bit later, and even at that, their bodies were not angled the same as they entered the water. However, had you just listened to the sportscaster, you would have believed that one, not two, little girls entered the water, for their positions were so well synchronized. Coincidentally, the judged happened to agree with her, and they received several 9's, which I believe are like 10's in diving. Okay, so their scores were high. Let's see how the US does. Same dive, same slight errors, BUT did they receive any 9's? Most certainly not. They were docked points for the same errors I mentioned above, and they received scores they should have received, like a 7.5 and such. Dost my eyes deceive me, or is this really rigged? One thing I know I should mention is that during the Cold War, I clearly remember eastern block judges inflating scores for their competitors, so this is nothing new. I guess that since there are so few "communists" in their company this time around, the rigging is much more glaring.

I wonder if this will come out after the games end. I would think that after all of the journalists exit from the tightly controlled grips of the police state that is China, there will be stories of judges being paid off by China to give their teammates higher scores. If they can fake fireworks because of their smog issues, and if they can have a girl lip-sync at the opening ceremony, I'm sure they planned to have China come out on top, at all costs. Perhaps this is a message to the rest of the world: China is unstoppable because whenever they can, they will make the playing field in their favor. If this is how they play in sports, imagine what they will do if they become an enemy of the US. We will be talking about hegemony to the nth degree, but it won't be the US who's doing it.

No comments: