Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Reflections

On Friday, July 10th, B and I arrived safely at home after a 10 day trip overseas. Destinations: London and Paris. Although I have many thoughts on our trip, I will try to keep this first blog brief.

So, what's it like overseas?

Well, it depends on where you are, but wherever you go, it's important to remember that you are on their turf, and the local people are in no way bound to our preferred way of doing things. I think this is where many Americans confuse rudeness with cultural differences.

Case in point: lines.
Now, in Great Britain, the British are very fussy about lining or "queueing" up properly. As B and I stood outside of one of the buildings at the Tower of London to see the crown jewels, a "beefeater" came along and told us to straighten up our messy queue. We all did so accordingly, and everything went along as usual. Would it be this way in France?

France:
Look closely at this picture.

Notice the road leading out to the intersection. What's missing? Well, there are four lanes on each side for the right and left lane, but can you see any lines on the road? You should say "no," because there aren't, at least not until you're supposed to turn. And this epitomizes how the French are.

As soon as B and I were in France, despite the immediacy of our sightseeing, we felt what we did not feel in Great Britain: relaxed. And c'est la vie pour les Francaises.

It didn't come without any adjustment on our part, of course. While viewing all of the works of art and past kings' architectural triumphs, we had to get used to the idea that there really was no order to viewing things in a museum. There really are no lines, unless you are waiting to go into the museum. In all other cases, there is no first or second place. Everyone is in it together, for better or worse. And if others are moving more slowly, so be it. Just go around, and no one thinks the lesser of you for doing it. Here, that's considered impatient.

Here in the states, when looking at art, visitors take special precaution not to interfere with others' views, which can also make getting through a whole museum either a very fast paced visit, or a visit where a feeling of un-fulfillment comes from not getting to see everything as you'd like, with careful consideration and reflection. Thankfully, because of this adjustment, I was able to get up close and personal with some of the world's greatest works of art, including the Mona Lisa.

Speaking of the Mona Lisa. Before I came to the Louvre, I was told about his disappointing the painting it was; how small and simple it really was. So I was fully prepared to see a painting that was literally one foot by one foot. How surprised I was when I actually saw it. Unlike many others, I was captivated by her. She held my gaze and I fully understood the mystery behind her cryptic smile. I would have stood there longer were it not for the others who also were trying to get up close to her, so after a few minutes of examining the famous portrait, I moved on, in a daze. For others, disappointing, but for me, captivating.

Eating in France
Although I was excited to go and see (or as the French say, "watch,") the Eiffel Tower, Versailles, etc, I was mostly excited about the food. B and I knew it would be good, and we were not disappointed.

There was one thing that surprised me, and also dispelled a stereotype that I had often heard, that the French eat more slowly and take their time with their food. Well, after having sat by many local Parisians, I have to say that that is categorically false. They may take more time for the overall dining experience, to sit and relax, BUT, when it comes to actually eating the meal, they are no slower than your typical American, and we ate at a local neighborhood cafe, surrounded by area residents.

In one instance, two men sat down to have burgers (eaten with a knife and fork) and Cokes (no kidding). They WOLFED their food down. I was astounded by the speed and brevity of their meal. In no less than twenty minutes had they had wine, Coke, burgers and paid for their meals. Perhaps they were meeting up with friends, but they most certainly were not about to take their time and enjoy the overall dining experience. Stereotype, shattered. I will say, though, that the older Parisians did eat slower, so perhaps it's a generational change that's come about. I can't imagine that the stereotype appeared out of nowhere.

All in all, I loved France. Life is different over there, but I also think we could learn a few things from how they live. And really, no America does not do it the best. We just do it differently, and there's nothing wrong with either side of the coin.


No comments: