Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bringing in the New Year

Okay, so here's the rundown on the last year for me, personally:

*Went to Paris and London for the very first time.
*Got pregnant for the very first time.
*Discovered the school that everyone loves to work in, including me. Apparently I was just teaching the wrong grade and hadn't really gotten to know the people.
*Became closer with B's family.
*Gained a new appreciation for my old body.

In a nutshell, that has been my year.

The past decade sucked in so many ways. Shall we count them? No, because that's what the news is for. We all know how terrible this past decade has been in terms of world events. For me, personally, it was mostly good, with a touch of bad, and here's how it went:

*Met and began dating my husband in 2000.
*2001: Had to discover what it's like to pick up the pieces of a man, my dad, who fell apart and into the hospital for 6 months, which changed his life forever.
*2002: determined to have my own life and make my own way after going through hell with my dad's illness, I decided to go to grad school to become a teacher. I had this realization while visiting my sister in CA, after the birth of her first daughter in 2002. Inspiration can come in tiny packages.
*2003: finally broke free from my roommate and moved out on my own. It was awesome, and with the thanks of B, I found an apartment that was perfect for me as I went through grad school. I recommend to anyone living on your own for a little while before settling down with anyone. It is truly liberating and empowering.
*2004: one of my best years in Charlottesville.
*2005: finally finished my Master's and began teaching in the fall of 2005. Also moved in with B in a place we still talk about to this day. It was so tiny and had its problems (heating unit freezing over in the middle of the night, so we had to go out and chip away the ice to warm up our house, noxious smell came from the washing machine, and the master bathroom had no door), but we loved it for its gorgeous views, the hot tub, deck off to the side, where we had many a dinner and spent many hours playing cards and drinking wine, big snowstorms that came and painted our world in pristine white....it was perfect for us.
*2006: Picked up and moved to Virginia Beach.
*2007: got married!
*2008: that's a blur, mostly. Went to Disney World with B for his first trip there.
*2009...up above.

So yes, aside from 2001, I really can't complain. As for the rest of the world, may we have a more peaceful decade ahead of us.

No comments: