Sunday, May 11, 2008

Giving up the cow

So I have decided to stop eating dairy, or minimize it as much as I can. I know, boring, but this is a lot harder than it sounds. Why am I doing it? Well, I think there may be a link between my dairy consumption and my skin dilemmas. Basically, from what I've read, if a cow is nursed when she is pregnant, then the progesterone she produces is in the dairy products. Progesterone increases acne, which is why women who get acne often get it after ovulation as that is what's needed to make a healthy womb, if conception takes place. So, I'm going to try and reduce if not eliminate it and see what happens. 

So, no more: 
-ice cream (that's okay--B will eat it)
-yogurt
-string cheese
-milk
-cheese

This is okay, because I actually used to eat a lot of soy-based dairy alternatives, but I stopped...time to get back on track. And time to make sure I take my calcium supplements. Sigh. Hope it goes well. If not, bring on the cow. 

I'm wondering though, if progesterone is in dairy products, then wouldn't it also be in beef products too? That's not a big deal for me, as I rarely eat beef, but still, I wonder.....I also wonder if there is a link between the hormones in animal byproducts and hormonal imbalances in people, which can cause a myriad of conditions, including depression, obesity, PCOS, etc. I wonder.....shoot...should have been a Biology major so I could actually research these questions. :)

No comments: