Thursday, June 12, 2008

My day

I hate it when people ask why I am always so tired from teaching. They wonder how I can be tired when the kids are the ones doing the work. Honestly, my work happens when they are not in the room with me. So, here's my day, and the reason for my aching, tingling feet.

6:15AM wake up
6:30-7:00AM get dressed and feed myself.
7:00-7:20AM drive to school
7:20-7:30AM Go into classroom, write message for students on board.
7:35 go down to cafeteria to get coffee and make sure that 6 students are setting up 112 chairs for the student graduation. Check with D about supervising the kids while they do this.
7:45-8:00 Go back to room, answer several questions from students. Send several down to the music teacher for rehearsal. Get on e-mail to check if I missed anything.
8:00-8:10 morning announcements, say pledge, get kids to scream song at top of their lungs while I laugh hysterically.
8:10 GO out into hall and get all 112 students to line up in alphabetical order, in two rows.
8:15-9:15 direct students for graduation. Rehearse graduation and once again, answer questions.
9:15-10:00 Put in Holes, a movie inspired by the novel by Louis Sachar (GREAT NOVEL)...while they watch that, I: take down posters, label all of my furniture for the summer time (I have to put my name and the room number on everything b/c they move everything out to do the floors), alphabetize awards for Presidential Achievement, go over to three other teachers' rooms to iron out last minute details....etc.
10:00 Take kids down to gym for PE.
10:00-10:40 continue to pack up the room.
10:40 pick up kids, take them to lunch for early lunch out in the courtyard.
11:00 Take them to recess, watch over them during recess.
11:20 take kids back into room to get ready for final walk.
11:30, line kids up and walk around the school with kids.
11:40 Put movie back in while they pack up and I continue to do the same
12:00 say goodbye to the kids and then get them on the bus. (half day for kids today)
12:10 Go to Subway for lunch.
12:30-1:00 eat lunch.
1:00-1:30 organize all student files for entire grade for awards ceremony with other teachers.
1:30-3:30 Make awards box for students, make reserved seats signs for chairs, find an easel for the "Welcome Parents" sign....run principal through the whole ceremony.
3:30-4:30 keep packing.
**NOTE: I teach in a LARGE school. I'm on my feet from the time I get in, until about 3:00, with the exception of checking e-mail and eating lunch.
4:30-6:00 go to restaurant to meet up for drinks with other teachers. Call B to see what he wants for dinner while I'm at the restaurant.
6:00-6:15 drive to grocery store.
6:15-6:30 get food for dinner. Realize that as I'm driving home, I forgot many things in my hurry to get dinner on the table.
6:30-6:50 cook dinner.
6:50-7:20 eat dinner.
NOW: relax.

Yes, this is all in a day's work. 

And people wonder why teachers need time off.


No comments: