Monday, June 2, 2008

That 70s style

Where is I live there is no shortage of houses built in the 60s and 70s; and, for the most part, they are all that classic ranch style. But what is it that delineates a 60s ranch from a 70s ranch?you might ask. Well, I have the answer: the wet bar. And I'm not talking about a built-in cabinet that has a fridge built in with a sink on top. I'm talking about the real-deal bars that were put in many living rooms throughout our homes during the 1970s. My sister is renting a house with a real wet bar, and it even comes with a quilted leather exterior...oh, and did I mention that the leather is black with gold studs in the center of each quilted diamond? That's right, a gold and black quilted leather wet bar. And it's right in her living room. These bars were literally like little bars that you could have in your own living room, which makes me think of Will Farrell in anchorman. Diversity is an old wooden ship. Oy.

What was it about the 70s that made people build such things in their houses and wear such hideous clothes? Was there just this perception that no matter where you go, a good time is just minutes away? And was it just the idea of free-love of the 60s gone awry? Whatever the reason, when people say that things are so much worse now than they were back then, at least on the surface, I have to disagree. 


No comments: