Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Throwing out the clock

As a teacher, I live and die by the clock.

On days off, I am still scanning the room for the time, even though it usually doesn't matter.

Last week I was talking to another teacher and she said she was literally giving her own children 45 minutes to have a cookie party at home. Wow. Forty-five minutes. I bet those kids got to go crazy with that much time!

A few minutes ago I scanned the clock on this computer and had the thought that perhaps I could get all 18 Christmas cards addressed by 7:00. That was four minutes ago.

But then I decided that that was a but much, and if I had kids, I would give them 30 minutes to eat, 10 minutes to wash and 5 minutes to change into jammies, which is a bit much.

So over my Christmas Break, I am challenging myself to throw out the clock. Beyond going to church on Christmas Eve by a certain time, and planning for meals, I will not keep a schedule.

It has been said that not keeping a clock in the bedroom is better for sleep. I think it's probably better for more than just that reason, especially if you are sharing your bed with someone else. (wink wink) So over winter break, away with the clock!

I just typed this in three minutes. Not too bad! But the fact that I just counted how long that took only proves the point: I need a break.

No comments: