Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goal

Typically, I do not make New Year's Resolutions. Why? Because, from what I have seen, the resolutions that are so often made are usually often destroyed before the dawn of February. So as a rule, I do not make resolutions. I do, however, have goals. They are different from resolutions because they are not total transformations. When I think of resolutions, I think of someone transforming themselves from an overweight person into a svelt and lean athlete. For goals, I like to build on what I have already accomplished. So, here they are:

1. Continue to save money. I have been putting money aside each month in the hopes of being able to contribute to our house purchase, whenever that happens. The reality is that whatever down payment we make will come from his savings. As a team player, I want to do as much as I can as well. So, I have been putting money aside for things like furniture, appliances, whatever we may need. And I must say, what I have managed to save, so far, is pretty good for me, and it earns 2.25% interest. So, I want to do as much as I can in the next 6 months to a year, in the hopes of being in a home by the end of the year.

2. Want everything I have. I have a habit of shopping when there are good deals to be had. A good pair of pants at a good price are hard to pass up. But as I folded and straightened out my clothes the other day, I realized I had more than I needed, and I was happy to think that I wanted everything I had. For the items I don't want, I am donating them. Fortunately, with age comes more mature judgment, so I don't buy everything on a whim. Much of what I purge was bought years ago. Now, I have to REALLY like it to buy it. But I need to appreciate all that I do have, and want every bit of it.

3. Treat my body well. I have been treating it well, but I need to reintroduce myself to the gym on days when it is dark and cold out. Also, after the holidays I need to cut back on my breads. I don't cut them out completely, but I don't eat nearly as much as I used to, thankfully.

4. Take a class that has no professional relation whatsoever, like art. I like to be an individual outside of work. I have noticed that many older teachers' friends are mostly all from work, and they all socialize and hang out; which is all fine, but I do like to have separation-not total separation, but partial separation is good for me. Call me crazy!

No comments: