Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Today

Was a historic day, and since I have written about it my journal, I am refraining from writing about it right now.

I just have a few observations to make:

1. The first black president. After the Civil War, as per the 15th amendment, blacks (yes, I call them as such b/c they do not call themselves African Americans--just ask), were given the right to vote. As history tells, several states sought to block the amendment through the creation of the Black Codes during Reconstruction, which later became the Jim Crowe laws of the late 1800s. But that didn't happen in every state, and in others, blacks could vote. It wasn't until 1920 when women finally had the right to vote through the passage of the 19th amendment (how I remember this: 18th: Prohibition, 19th women in 1920, 20th overturned the 18th). So yet again, women are put back, again. To be sure, I am thrilled with the outcome of the election, but next time, either in 2012 or 2016, a woman should be president. Let's not wait 50 years for this to happen.

2. As I type, it is all over the news that Ted Kennedy had a severe seizure during the presidential luncheon. And, in the vampire-like ways of the reporters, they pounced on everyone who was in the room, seeking answers, looking for an angle which would make their report compelling. Enough! The senators who have been interviewed said that the attendees want to be respectful to Senator Kennedy, but it appears that, once again, the reporters are deaf. Leave him alone! If it were me, I would want to respect he and his family and get the details later. We are an apathetic nation because reporters want everything to be controversial and ratings grabbers at all times. I think for the nation to become more sensitized, they need to cut it out, and stop exploiting everyone's misfortune for their own self-interest. It sickens me.

No comments: