Saturday, April 5, 2008

Am I the only one?

So yesterday a lady, who works my school and whose name I can barely recall, had a happy hour at her house. I don't really know her, but some people I work with went over. I did not go. Now, I like the people I work with. I really do. But, on a Friday afternoon the LAST place I want to be after a long week at school is sitting and drinking, listening to teaching stories on a Friday afternoon. I feel badly for not participating, but then again, I just want to go home and relax and be with my husband. Plus, and I don't mean to sound bitchy, but many of these women are in their 40s and 50s, and I am just not in their mindset yet, naturally. Sometimes I wonder: am I the only one who feels this way?

Why it is that women in their 40s and 50s (more so in their 50s and later) think it's hilarious to talk about sex and make funny little jokes about it to people they don't really know, I have no idea. But I am not in that group, and I don't really like women who sit and do that in public because, well, it makes me think that they aren't really having sex and talk about it so much because they are longing to have it more frequently. Am I wrong, or am I just the one whose being a prude? I don't know, but I have noticed that women in their 20s and 30s don't seem to discuss it as much...maybe something else happens that I don't know about. I guess I'll find out.

1 comment:

Kristianna said...

I totally agree. Sometimes on mom's nights out when I go I just sit there wishing I could find a mute button so I don't hear what someone has felt the need to tell us all. No amount of alcohol makes me wants to hear about someone's intimate sex details--not when I know them and their husband (Sex and the City is different and highly amusing). Ick. No thanks. And yes, the time I said, "You know, I really don't want to know that your husband is good/bad at XYZ," I believe I was indeed called a prude, haha. Whatever! I'll totally joke about Paul being messy or hell, even about how men seem to pee all over the toilet (why again is that so??), but I have my definite lines that some other people just don't. Maybe it *IS* us! Hahahaha!

The prude sisters.