Friday, April 18, 2008

Links in a chain

Everyone who knows me knows that I love what I do. I love my job, and I am so thankful that I have landed at a great school with good students and a great team with which to work. Although I know not to look back too closely at places we've been and things we've done, I thought about my old school and school district tonight. I went onto the website of the school where I did my student teaching.

BOY! What a rough time student teaching was! I learned how to be a good mentor teacher from how poorly my cooperating teacher supported me. I learned how to take control of a class within 5 mins of entering the room. I learned, most importantly, how children will many times reflect the emotions and feelings that you have. So, if you're looking at a room full of frownie faces, it's always good to ask, "Is that how I look?" If the answer is yes, and you don't like it, then change it.

After student teaching I went on to teach K at a nearby school, where my mentor, a bright and experienced teacher, taught me the ropes of professionalism and the ways of teaching. Of course, the teachers I worked with were great too, but I will never forget her words of wisdom, among which include the sage advice to never let your boss see you cry. She's right. It's not good. We can't help it and it does happen, but she was right. She was also right about being clear with what your expectations with both your students and colleagues are, and boy was she ever right about that. This year as grade level chair, I have learned how to do this, as well as how to be decisive when no one else is.

I went onto my former mentor's webpage, and I saw how eloquently she wrote, and how well-spoken she was. I had a great model to follow. Today, a colleague said the same things of me; and after going to my mentor's page tonight I can see where I learned a few things.

I am always reminded that one thing leads to another, and each event in life does seem to happen for a reason. I am most thankful for what I have gotten to go through, for I would not be where I am now.

No comments: