Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Fear

Today I read a quick little article about the show "Dancing with the Stars," and Adam Corolla's departure from the show after being voted off. In the article, Corolla said, "If it makes you frightened, then you should absolutely do it! Go for it!" Inspired, I thought, "Yes! He's right!" But is this true? If we're frightened by doing something, does that really mean we should do it? Or isn't there such a thing as taking a calculated risk?

Let's take, for example, Mt. Everest. Nevermind that the locals in Tibet are planning on paving a path to the summit, due to its popularity. Many people attempt to climb Mt. Everest because they want to accept the risk and conquer the behemoth that has taken so many lives. According to Wikipedia, there have been 2,436 people who have climbed to the summit, and 210 have died. That means that 92% have survived. That doesn't mean that they weren't hurt...and I'd like the odds to be a little better. Still, knowing that it has taken the lives of many is part of the allure to adrenaline junkies worldwide. Many try it because the thought of it scares them, and they thrive on that adrenaline rush from the pure fear.

From all outward appearances, this is the ultimate accomplishment. But from my perspectice, I don't really envy or admire the people who do this. I actually feel badly for any loved one in the hikers' lives. When I see interviews of survivors, and they show the pictures of the climbers with their families back at home, I always feel sad for the families. What if they all lost their dad or mother? How would that affect the rest of the family? Is it really that enviable? Is always trying to conquer your fears the wisest thing to do?

We are born with fear hardwired into our brains. Fear serves as a survival mechanism for all animals. The power to congnitively override those fears doesn't necessarily make the fear-conqueror all that much smarter or enviable than anyone else. If someone is afraid to take a drug because of what it could do to them, the brain can most certainly weigh the risks and benefits and decide what to do, and consequently override the prevailing fear. But was it smart to do? No, obviously not.

So, I take issue with the advice of going ahead and taking all risks, as suggested by Corolla. That's not to mean that I really listen to what the guy thinks or has to say, but I've heard this sentiment before, and I've always respected people who say that, but I guess it really depends on the potential consequences of such risks. I supposed it's all in calculation. I have had many fears to conquer, and I'm still learning how to battle them even as I type, but I don't believe that means I should throw all caution to the wind.

'Nuff said.

No comments: