Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Always Knew

That I liked Colin Powell. I've been a fan of his for at least 12 years. This may come as a surprise to some, but as I have said in the past, I am not strictly Democrat or Republican. I have always labeled myself an independent because it allows me to vote on the issues and not for the party. So yes, I have liked him for a long time. And now, he has not let me down. Thank you, Colin Powell, for saying what has needed to be said, for a very long time.


I also want to say that when the Iraq War first started, I was naive to think that my country's leader would not lead us astray. In my heart, I did not feel that it was the right thing to do, but from everything I heard and saw on TV, I supported it in the beginning. Colin Powell was the main reason why I supported it. He presented "evidence," to suggest that WMDs were being produced in Iraq (which we now know was just a cover to deter Iran from attacking Iraq), and so I trusted. Then we all found out that the evidence had been falsified by other countries who wanted vengeance against Iraq, and the US was once again used as a tool between two other countries. How badly I felt for Colin Powell! Could you imagine going before the world's leaders, presenting them with evidence that you believe to be real, only to find out that you were given false information? I can't even imagine being in that situation. But I do believe that ever since he was wronged, he has been trying to find a way to do the right thing. So once again, I thank him for saying what needed to be said. 

I am so tired of this culture of hate and fear that has been propagated by the right wing. I am so tired of people failing to admit that there are more than two sides to every story. There are countless sides to a story, especially when you are dealing with foreign policy. I remember writing papers on the CIA for a foreign policy class at JMU, and I kept researching the news on a daily basis (I believe the paper was about Cuba), and when I finally had to print the paper, I had to put an editorial note in it to say that the information I presented could have changed, because information changes on a second-by-second basis. If we don't treat the world as an ever changing, living organism, the our policies will not be effective. 

To be sure, I cannot say that both sides haven't failed to see the multitudes of perspectives existent in this world, but I can say that I believe that one side is looking to go back to the ways of Ronald Reagan, and quite frankly, I did not enjoy growing up in a world where we are all taught to be afraid of the Russians, and where the Middle East called us "The Great Satan."(Yes, I know, I was only a kid, but those who know me know that I have a good memory--almost too good.) Those were NOT fun times. Sure, people made a ton of money, but I very clearly remember the hostage crises of the early to mid-80s, and I do NOT want more of those. I did not particularly enjoy the thought of a whole region of people hating me just because I was an American, and I am sure that Muslims feel the same way in their own countries, including the US. Yes, there are extremists in those countries, just as there are extremists right here in the US.

There is a danger in failing to see the other side's point of view. If we ignore what other people think and feel, then we will not make real, true and lasting progress in this world. We will continue to find ourselves in wars and fights where neither side is right and everyone is wrong. I can only pray that we can begin, as a nation, to move forward and work on solutions, and stop fear-mongering for our own political gains. 

***

Can we just get this election over with? I don't dislike either of the candidates (but I really dislike Palin), but I am very tired of both campaigns. 

No comments: