Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Wonderful Mother

That's the title of a book I'm going to write one day. 

Essential underlying message: when you meet a so-called "wonderful mother," and you have to work with her on a regular basis, take plenty of aspirin, and make sure to get some rest, because she can be very tiring.

Interpret that as you like.

And for what it's worth, I don't aspire to be a wonderful mom. I just want to be a mom who does her best, and tries to guide her kids in the right direction, but doesn't necessarily try to control the outcome of everything in her children's lives. That is very tiresome.

I got an e-mail from a parent today who was concerned that her son got an S+ on his PROGRESS REPORT for citizenship. She was worried that getting an S+ might mean that he wouldn't be accepted into a magnet school next year. Give me a freaking break. First of all, her son is no angel. He is rude and condescending. The fact that I gave him an S+ means I am a very nice teacher because the kid is not very nice and he puts down other kids and me! Secondly, he isn't perfect. I am not perfect! I doubt I got O's for Citizenship when I was a kid. Third, it's a freaking PROGRESS REPORT. Good Lord, woman! All I can say is that she is going to be in for a rude awakening when she tries to pull this controlling bullshit next year when her son goes to middle school. She can gripe and they will nod and just walk away. Knowing that lets me sleep easier at night.

Before I met her, I was told she was "a wonderful mother."

***

I feel most sorry for her son. Poor kid. To have parents who are so tightly wound must not be an easy thing to do.

1 comment:

Kristianna said...

You have to remember wonderful mothers have perfect children incapable of wrongdoing! Duh!

Similarly imperfect kids have axe murderers for moms. Goes without saying.