Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Time Has Come

Ladies:

Yes, yes, I know. Caring about politics isn't cool. Many girls in my class don't care about Social Studies, even though I try my damnedest to get them to care.

But here's what I have to say: it is time for us to get into politics. 

We HAVE to. 

Why? Because if Sarah Palin is supposed to be the best representation for women in the US, then we do not stand a chance. If I am supposed to vote for her because she and I share the same genitalia, and because I am not smart enough to see that she is a female version of George Bush (and God forbid we have another one of IT in office), then I guess I should. But because I am more than just another woman who likes to shop, because I am someone who does like to think about things and question conventional wisdom, I will NOT vote for her. 

As a woman, I know we can do better than her. If it means that we need to roll up our sleeves and get into the ring, then so be it. But I refuse to let someone like her be a representative of ME. She is not like me. She does not share the same views as I do, and I can even tell you that I do not agree with Plessy v. Ferguson, and I really don't agree with Scott v. Sanford, even though our own Sarah Palin couldn't tell you what Supreme Court cases, aside from Roe v. Wade, she disagrees with, when questioned by Katie Couric. BTW Sarah: Plessy v. Ferguson: enforced Jim Crowe (ever hear of Separate but Equal?), Scott v. Sanford: said that slaves were property, and as such, even when moved into free states, they were STILL property, meaning once a slave, always a slave. Oh, and I have to say, I really dislike Gore v. Bush (2000). Now, I am just a teacher. What's your excuse? Get a clue.

She can sit and try to belittle people who are analytical and intellectual, and it may even work. But for me, I am insulted. As women, we should all be insulted. We are smart. We SHOULD care. We SHOULD get involved.

It's times like this when I know where I came from. It's in my blood. Political passions rise within, and I feel as though one day I should run for office. I don't know that I will have any choice but to try. I may be just a teacher, but I know we can do better than Sarah Palin. What an embarrassment!

(END RANT...and it's been a long time coming.)

No comments: