Saturday, November 15, 2008

And the search goes on...and on....and on.....

Today I went to a teaching conference on Reading Education, which lasted from 9-1:30. When I came home, happily I discovered that B had done the dishes (AND POTS), cleaned the counters AND took out the recycling. 

I told him he earned the Golden Husband award for the day. I told him this as he showered. When he got out of the shower he asked if I wanted to go to another furniture store to look for sofas. My initial thought was "HELL NO!" as if I wanted to go through another emotional argument. But I know that I can control how I react to his rejection of every single piece of furniture on this good earth, so I said I would go. 

We went to two stores today. At the second store we found a sofa that we both really like. It is deep, wide and very comfortable. The back cushions are square and clean looking, but comfortable. 

It was on sale by $700. It is less than two thousand dollars, but more than one thousand. Is it worth it? YES. This is the ONLY sofa that B has actually liked. I love it. 

So what could possibly be wrong with the sofa? 

Of course, it's too much money. 

My argument for the sofa: 
1. B is rarely pleased with such things, and as such, when we find a good one, it's a keeper!   

2. I have bought a cheap sofa, and we are replacing it. The sofa we are replacing tore within the first month I had it. In some cases, spending a little more money makes more sense than spending less because it will wear out. I informed him that ultimately, within the past ten years, I will have spent $2,500 on sofas, if we get this sofa. That's a lot to spend. I told him I do not want to buy another sofa for a long time. 

3. We don't need to worry if it fits exactly into our current condo because in ten years we will still have the sofa, but we will not be in our current residence. 

I have made these points to him, and I hope they sink in. Obviously I think I'm right. I think I am talking logic and reason here. I'm not just saying, "It's pretty, and I like it!" I think I'm giving valid reasons for doing it.

What I can also say is that I cannot believe we are spending so much time worrying about this. My whole afternoon after the conference was destroyed by our hunt. Hopefully something positive comes out of it. Hopefully. I can't get those hours back.

No comments: