Monday, November 3, 2008

Several thoughts for today

1. When B and I have kids, our social lives will inevitably change. We won't necessarily lose our current friends who do not have children, but more than likely we will hang out with our friends who do have children. We need to be on their good graces for when the time comes. B said as much yesterday when we were talking about our friends.

2. I don't want to have a boy with the same name as my husband. We were discussing kids and names, and he said "Little B." I apologized and told him that it was enough to have to call out his name, and I didn't want to have to double the efforts on calling his name. I know it's an homage to the father to name the first son after the dad, but I just can't do it, if we do have a boy one day. And I can also say that the name will definitely NOT be Magnum. I hope we have a girl, whenever we do have children. (And I am afraid that we won't be able to have children.)

3. I met a couple that has a divorce in its future. I suppose I've been around dysfunctional parents enough to know what's coming down the road. I feel badly for their kids, but I can see trouble coming. You know something's up when the mother looks at her daughter's teacher and says, "I don't have a problem, but her father is the one who has the problem," after which she tightly smiles at her husband and he narrowly grimaces back. Yikes. Poor little girl. I know these silent fights all too well. I learned all of the call signs long ago.

4. Regarding Facebook. I find it odd that there are people out there who literally "friend," every single person they've ever known, whether or not they are actually "friends," with each other. Moreover, some of those "friends," were never friends at all. I suppose popularity is all in the numbers, but when all is said and done, does it really matter how many friends you had on Facebook? I don't think so, but I know one guy that literally has 1,200 friends on FB. I am one of them, and I know that although he was a social acquaintance, he was never a friend, per se. I've been tempted to add all of the people that I actually know, which would bump my numbers up to well over 100, at least, but somehow I just feel weird about actually doing it. Maybe this is just a manifestation of my shyness, and a manifestation of other people's outgoing nature. I'm not sure, but I haven't decided what I should do.

5. Cookies and cream brownies are good. Damn good.

'Nuff said.

No comments: