Monday, March 23, 2009

A dash of guilt mixed in with apathy

So on Friday afternoon I got home and I saw our answering machine (yes, we still use one because we don't want to pay for voicemail) blinking 1-1-1-1-1. I pressed play and could tell that the lady calling had the wrong number. I could tell this because she told me to cancel her order.

Well, I decided that if she didn't have sense enough to realize that the number she called was residential and not a business number, then I wasn't going to try an track her down to tell her she called the wrong number. Maybe I should have, but then again, it's fairly obvious that the message on our machine is not from a business.

So today I got home, groceries in tow, and I saw the blinking 1-1-1-1 again. No hello, no "I left a message the other day..." No, all it said was, "Well it would have been polite if you'd told me I had the wrong number." Click. Hm.

For a moment I thought maybe she was right. I could have called her back, but I didn't. But then again, she didn't listen to the message on our machine, and it's not my fault she wasn't paying attention when she left the message.

So although I felt a twinge of guilt, it was quickly replaced by apathy. And for that, I feel a little guilty.

No comments: