Thursday, March 12, 2009

Worrying

I think my husband is a bigger worrier than I. I am a worrier, so, as I am lost in my worries, I hadn't really considered that he could possibly be a bigger worrier than me. It occurred to me today.

Today he came home and said that he had a good day because he hadn't been overwhelmed with work; which, in turn, caused him to worry that perhaps he was about to be laid off. It's true that those who are going to be laid off usually find themselves with more downtime than usual, but he has had work to do. He just hasn't ben slammed as he has been in the past few months, which, for him, is a source of worry.

Pretty much everyday that he comes home with less than 150% to do, he is worried he's going to lose his job. This of course causes me to worry. But then, in a matter of minutes, he tells me that his company is looking into buying a few new properties. This means that they aren't as bad off as many other companies. Also, given what he does, I don't think they are planning to get rid of him. This does not sway him into not worrying. I suppose it's okay to be aware that it could happen, but in the meantime, what can you really do, other than brace yourself for impact?

Usually I play into his worry talk, and a knot settles in my stomach. But today was a little different. Today I looked at him, and in so many words I told him to stop worrying and chill, both for his sake and mine. He agreed, and then settled into telling me about the rest of his day, a part of our daily ritual.

~~~

I wonder, do other couples have little rituals like we do?

No comments: