Thursday, April 16, 2009

Woo! Girls

Last Friday night a good friend of mine had dinner with me at a local Mexican restaurant. At our nice little dinner, we got into discussing different types of women. I told her about several girls I work with who are very nice, but I also don't do anything with them. They are the same age as me, and they like to go out to the bars on the weekend. In essence, they are Woo! Girls. They are the ones who act as if there's a party going on at all times in the day and act as if the night you took their picture was the best night of their lives. They are the ones who scream "Woo!" when there is really nothing woo-worthy on that night.

I am not a Woo! girl. I am the second type of girl that we discussed on that night. I am the type of girl who enjoys being with her friends, but is just as likely to enjoy time spent alone or with my husband on any given night. Oh yeah, none of these Woo! girls are married, and if they are, their husbands are off fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan. In the latter case, I suppose they need something to cheer them up, because I know I could not live their lives. Still, it sometimes feels a little lonely when everyone else is like them, and few are like you.

I don't think I would trade my life with anyone, though. Sure, things have happened to me, but far worse has happened to many people in this world. On the whole, I feel as though I am truly blessed. When I go shopping, I think about the fact that I am lucky to be able to do that, just as when I plan a vacation, I am humbled by being able to do these things, because I know that many people don't have these chances.

The friend I had dinner with is a long-lost friend whom I found through Facebook. I know I've written about her here before, but what amazes me is that she and are so much alike, and I really like her. I used to do everything with her, back in high school, but when college came, we drifted apart. In college it was hard to make true friendships. Many of the friends I had were simply social acquaintances, and although I met many people, I never really got to know any of them, because I was too busy being a Woo! girl to really stop and slow down, and get to know them. I also know that back then I was an unhappy and insecure girl who only started to feel happy around my senior year in college. I think that's when I went from being a Woo! girls to the girl I am today. I don't think I ever really was the party girl I liked to be pack then. I think, deep down, I wasn't happy because I wasn't being myself.

Now that I have spent more time with my friend, I noticed that she never really changed from who she was. She still wears the same kind of clothes, has the same sense of humor and is the same independent one from back then. I sometimes wonder if she bothered me from time to time because she was so secure with herself, and I was not. Now that I am happy with who I am, I am so happy we are back in touch, enjoying dinners together, and afterward, going back to our happy homes to read or be with our husbands. And that, is Woo! worthy.

No comments: