Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Identity Confusion

I'm pretty sure my cat does not know he's a cat. I think he thinks he's a dog.

When you think of a cat, what do you think of? Aloofness. Not really wanting to be bothered by you. This is why singles like having cats because they are low maintenance.  Not my cat.

When I went to the SPCA to adopt a kitten, I knew to look for health and energy. A lethargic kitten means a sick kitten, so I knew to look for energy. When I first saw Wayne, he was no bigger than the length of my forearm, and in his tiny little cage he was doing tuck-rolls while playing with a toy, and he was in his litter box, and oh yes, another kitten was in there with him, sleeping away. That was a healthy and smart (well, maybe not so much for the litter) kitty, in my opinion. I wanted to give all the kittens a chance, so I continued on and looked at the rest, keeping "Trouble," (his kennel name) in mind. But it really didn't take long for me to know that he was the one. I picked him up and he squirmed (still does), but then he began to purr, and I calmed him down (still do). That was in 2002, and I can't believe he's 6 years old now!

So, why is Wayne really a dog in cat's clothing? Well, he loves to play. Everyday, as much as he can. He still has his toys laying around, and yes, he plays fetch. He talks to us, constantly. If we say something to him, he always has something to say in return. And when he gets in trouble, he gives us lip! I'm not even kidding. If we say "Wayne! No!" he says, in no uncertain terms, "f-you." Oh, and he comes when you call him....he also has to be in the same room with you at all times. He isn't allowed in our bedroom, so what he does is he stays at the doorway and looks at us when we're in there. If you look at him while in the bedroom, he has words for us. Oh, and amongst the most un-cat-like qualities he has, it's that he requires fairly constant attention. He is not a cat that can just hang by himself and be happy. We keep a toy in the closet that is one of those rods with a mouse attached to the end. He will sit at the closet and meow until we take the toy out and play with him. 

No, I'm fairly certain Wayne thinks he's a dog. And I guess, because I don't have a dog, that'll do. :) 

No comments: