Monday, September 8, 2008

Laugh of the Day

One of the main benefits of having the same group of kids all day is that I can actually remember what they say that is actually funny. Last year I had a hard time remember what a kid said to me because I had 45 of them talking at me. This year is different.

I have a student in my class who is quite the interesting bird. When he first arrived in my room, I wasn't sure if he was just really slow, or what. His speech is very careful and he is also very quiet. He won't do anything for work until he is sure of exactly what he is supposed to do. I started to see what he was doing, and I could see that he was quite bright, just unique. At the end of the day today, he started talking to me about where he is in the book Holes, which is what the whole class is reading. He said that he was at the part where a character named Zero started to speak to Stanley, and although Zero couldn't read very well, he was amazing at math. Then the student told me that Zero chooses not to talk, even though he is very smart.  I looked at the child and said, "You kinda feel like Zero?" He nodded and said with a slight smile, "Yep...only sometimes I think questions people ask me are stupid, so I just don't say anything at all." Well now! That clears up that. I hope I haven't insulted his intelligence. 

No comments: