Thursday, September 18, 2008

A plea

Moms: if you are looking for something to do because your kids are in school, don't try to fill your time by always wanting to volunteer at school all of the time. I have NO problem with parents helping out, but I have a mother who quit her job to be a SAHM, and essentially she needs something to do during the day, so she has e-mailed me at least once each week to let me know that she is available to help out. She has a reputation for being a hovering mother who babies her child.  She has been known to e-mail teachers literally 8 times in a day. This is too much. I told this mom that because I teach older kids, that I don't usually need a volunteer in the room. Her son isn't a K student. He's 10 going on 11. I also told her our Science lab needs volunteers, so she can do that. But seriously, when I told her I would keep her in mind I felt as though I was saying I would keep her resume on file. I do believe she needs to go back to work, even if it's just part time working at Barnes and Noble or something. She obviously needs fulfillment, and since her kids are older, she's bored now. I wish I could help her, but really, I do not need a hovering parent in my room. I feel even stronger about this because at open house I could see that while a video from the PTA was on, she wasn't watching. She was scanning the room and looking at all of the other parents. Yeah. I am well aware of parents who like to spy so they can know what's going on. I'm not playing that game. Perhaps she's a power mom, but I'm the queen bee of my class.

The sad thing is that she really is very nice. But she's hovering and she's bored. Sorry, but I will keep her resume on file.

No comments: